Cravings On The hCG Diet
Wanting Food That's Not Approved Happens Having Strategies To Defeat Desires is Being Prepared
When you are craving foods that are not exactly Dr. Simeons hCG diet approved know that every junk food manufacture, every fast food chain and every candy maker has spent hundreds of millions of dollars to trigger those cravings. The color of the bag, the way the bag feels, the fresh smell of the food, the very taste of it all. It’s designed to touch, stimulate and awaken every sense to bring about a psychological and emotional responses in you. So on some level your desire for foods are not totally your fault. You have been in fact been manipulated in a very primal way.
However you see food, your cravings kick and as of right now, you are caught between the chemical avalanche that was triggered and your desire to remain commitmented to our diet goals and not wreck it with a uncontrollable cheat.
Top 5 Ways to Immediately Deal With Cravings & Stay Focused
- Drink Water.
- Water will fill you up and often craving salty foods is really dehydration.
- Keep a water bottle handy.
- Not only will this distract you from the craving but often boredom is the real issue.
- Walking will releases endorphins and increases serotonin levels. Both will help to elevate your mood. When you are in a better mood and think positive it helps abate the cravings and solidifies your dieting goals.
- Mint Up.
- Using a minty toothpaste and or minty mouthwash can literally take the taste for the offending food you desire out of your mouth.
- Drink peppermint tea if you don't have a toothbrush handy. peppermint cleanses your palate and diminishes tastes for sweets.
- Use peppermint essential oil in a diffuser and inhale deeply.
- Sometimes you just want to chew and that's okay. Just choose to chew sugar free mint gum.
- Cut Sugar.
- Okay on the hCG diet you are not allowed sugar but if you are using Splenda, this maybe the culprit. Some people's sugar cravings are triggered with the use of Splenda.
What Causes Cravings
Now that you have some tools to deal with your cravings while on the hCG protocol, you should take a moment to understand what is causing the cravings to you can develop long term strategies to cope.
When you are craving foods know that every junk food manufacture, every fast food chain and every candy maker has spent hundreds of millions of dollars to trigger those cravings. The color of the bag, the way the bag feels, the fresh smell of the food, the very taste of it all. It’s designed to touch, stimulate and awaken every sense to bring about a psychological and emotional responses in you. So on some level your desire for foods are not totally your fault. You have been in fact been manipulated in a very primal way.
Know that you are armed with that information here is how to replace the cravings for their food
Carb & Sugar Cravings
When you are craving carbs and sugary food there is a physiological reason. Carbs stimulate the release of serotonin which makes you feel good and endorphins calm and relax you. Destressing is key to helping reduce the cravings. Everything from exercise and meditation to proper sleep, deep breathing techniques and using EFT, Emotional Freedom Techniques.
Yearnings for salt is a little tricky. The salt that is often used in processed foods is processed salt, stripped of all its nutrients and 60 minerals found in unrefined salt. You should switch to a high quality sea salt and the Himalayan salt.
In the meantime, salt cravings are also about dehydration, you need may need to get more water in your system and hydrate yourself.
Desires for protein can either mean a protein deficiency or iron deficiency. Menstruating women have a higher instance of iron deficiency and if you have a heavy flow the chances of your body needing iron is very high. While an overall protein deficit can lead to muscle weakness and decrease in your lean body mass.
The only way to know for sure if you have either deficiency is to request a test from your doctor. Low Albumin levels indicate a lack of protein and low Iron levels indicate you may need to supplement your diet with iron.
There are a lot of other cravings for food that you may want but these are the basic; proteins, salts, sugars and carbs, that the majority of food longings fall into. There are amino acids and other natural supplements to help abate food cravings on the hCG diet that are compatible and won’t interfere with your the protocol that are discussed on another blog post, Supplements for Cravings.